Accident insurance

Mandatory for everybody! Accident insurance covers all accidents which your household helper could suffer during the performance of his or her work as well as when travelling to work. The age of the individual plays no role.

Please note: It is not sufficient for your household helper to be insured against accidents via his or her health insurance company. As an employment relationship exists, you as the employer are obliged to conclude mandatory accident insurance.

Sole exception: If your household helper owns his or her own company and is recognised as a self-employed individual. In such cases, no employment relationship is deemed to exist.

Less than 8 hours of help per week
If your household helper works for less than eight hours a week, only basic accident insurance is required. The insurance policy can be taken out with all major insurance companies and costs CHF 100 per year. The premium must be paid by the employer.

If you employ several individuals but the total number of working hours does not exceed eight hours, one insurance policy is sufficient. Simply inform your insurance company whenever a new person starts working for you or an existing employment is terminated.

More than 8 hours of help per week
For a workload of eight hours a week or more, insurance must be taken out which covers both occupational and non-occupational accidents. In general, the premium must be paid by the employee. The employer may also, however, pay for part or all of the premium.